What is EPDM edge trim?
Edge trim is applied to the edges of windows, doors, panels, or other sheet materials to protect the edges from damage and prevent injury to those that come into contact with them.
Edge trims are produced using various flexible and robust rubber materials. Two of the most popular materials used to manufacture edge trim are PVC and EPDM. EPDM (Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer) is a robust synthetic rubber popularly used throughout many industries, particularly the construction and industrial sectors.
EPDM has several properties that make it ideal for edge trims. It is waterproof, flexible, durable, and electrically insulating.
EPDM rubber trim applications
EPDM rubber edge trim is widely used throughout many different industries. Here are some of the key applications.
- Automotive industry – EPDM seals and edge trims are used extensively throughout the automotive industry for sealing doors, windows, and windshields. The material’s ability to withstand temperature fluctuations and resist degradation from UV and ozone makes it ideal for vehicle applications.
- Windows and doors – EPDM trim plays a crucial role in sealing windows and doors in residential and commercial buildings. The material’s properties mean EPDM trim can help to weatherproof, insulate, and reduce noise within buildings.
- Furniture – In the furniture industry, EPDM rubber trim is sometimes used to cover sharp edges and corners, enhancing safety and creating a sleek finish.
- Sheet metal – In the construction and industrial sectors, EPDM trims are often applied to the edges of sheet metal to prevent injury.
- Marine vessels – Given its excellent resistance to saltwater and weather elements, EPDM seals and trims are popular for sealing and edge protection in boats and other marine vessels.
Types of EPDM edge trim
Several types of EPDM rubber trim and EPDM seal are available to suit various applications. The two key options are standard EPDM edge trims and EPDM seals.
Standard EPDM edge trims are suitable for a broad range of applications. They are designed to fit over various panel widths to provide a safe, smooth edge and protect against injuries and wear. EPDM seals are designed to create a tight seal against water, air, and other foreign substances. These seals are available in various sizes to accommodate different gap and panel widths.
Other variations include seals with plastic-reinforced spinces or steel-reinforced spines. Plasrtic-reinforced spines are non-conductive and resistant to rust. They are also lighter and more flexible than their metal-reinforced counterparts.
When selecting the right EPDM trim for the job, it’s important to consider several factors, including its function, the size and type of panel it is being applied to, and the environment it will be subject to.
Benefits of using EPDM edge trim
EPDM has several properties that make it a popular choice of material for edge trim strips used across various industries and applications. Let’s find out some of the benefits of choosing EPDM trim.
- Longevity – EPDM is renowned for its robustness and durability. It can withstand and resist extreme temperatures, harsh weather conditions, UV rays, and chemical exposure. Edge trims made from EDM are long-lasting, ensuring they can effectively protect the surfaces they’re applied to for years.
- Waterproof – Choosing an edge trim made from EPDM is especially beneficial in applications requiring a waterproof seal. An EPDM edge seal can prevent water ingress and is a popular choice when sealing edges on vehicles, building windows and doors, marine vessels, and motorhomes.
- Weatherproof – EPDM’s resistance to various environmental factors makes it suitable for both indoor and outdoor use.
- Aesthetic appeal – Applying EPDM trim can significantly enhance the appearance of materials, panels, or products. It provides a neat, smooth, and attractive finish, contributing to the overall aesthetics of the application.
- Safety – The robust nature of EPDM edge trim makes it a reliable solution for providing long-lasting protection. It plays a crucial role in safety by covering sharp edges to reduce the risk of injuries like cuts and abrasions.
Choose Seals Direct for EPDM trims and seals
With over 50 years of experience in the rubber sealing industry, the team here at Seals Direct can help you find the most effective product or solution for your needs.
We manufacture and supply over 760 products, including many EPDM trims and seals, designed to solve sealing problems in the marine, industrial, automotive, and construction industries and beyond.
For help or advice selecting the right product for your requirements, call our team on 01425 617 722.